LE PRIEURÉ DE GRAMMONTSAINT-PROUANT
Priory founded in the late 12th century in Saint Prouant en Vendée, led by Richard the Lion Heart, it is one of the best preserved in France with its chapel, and convent buildings. 3D film. 20 minutes from Puy du Fou.
ABBAYE SAINT-JEAN D'ORBESTIERLES SABLES-D'OLONNE
Located on Le Chateau d'Olonne coastline, the Saint-Jean d'Orbestier abbey was built during the 12th century, at the instigation of the Duke of Aquitaine and Count of Poitou, Guillaume IX, on a 2000 acres domain. This monument currently being restored is an example of an important Benedictine monastry between the 12th and 18th century. As many others, it enjoyed greatness, prosperity before destruction. Richard Lion Heart contributed to the influence of the monastry by confiming the privileges granted to the Orbestier monks by his great-grand-father Guillaume IX and by making the Orbestier forest his favourite hunting ground.
EGLISE SAINT MARTIN DE VERTOU ET CLOCHER PANORAMIQUEL'ILE-D'OLONNE
It is thought that the original church was built on this site towards 1200. It was restored during the 17th century (choir) and at the beginning of the 2Oth century. Free access all day long. Tour (in French) of bell-tower : Discover the vaulted ceilings and bells. From the top, admire the beautiful panoramic view over the marshland. Free visit : 3€/adult, 2€/4-12 years old. Guided tour : 5€/adult, 3€/4-12 years old. Free visit daily in July and August 10 am - 12.30 pm and 4-6.30 pm. Guided tour on Thursday from June to August at 2 pm.
L'ABBAYE DE COUDRIECHALLANS
Ancient commandery of Templars it was built in 1130 by Hugues de Payens, founder of the Order.
ABBAYE DE LA GRAINETIERELES HERBIERS
The Abbey has been a listed building since 1946. A congregation of Benedictine monks settled there in 1979
EGLISE SAINT NICOLASLA CHAIZE-LE-VICOMTE
This church in the transitional style between early and classical romanesque was declared a historical monument in 1908.
On the site of the first Benedictine monastery (middle 7th century) founded by St Philbert de Noirmoutier. Ravaged by the Normans in 853 and 877, burned down by the Count of Poitou in 1068 (condemned by the Pope to rebuild the church).