Abbaye-royale-st-michel-en-l'herm-85-pcu (2)

13 centuries of history in the open air

It was on an isle formerly named Vieux Condet (condate: confluent) that the Abbey was founded in 682 AD by Ansoald, Bishop of Poitiers, and by a few monks from Hério (Noirmoutier). Completely destroyed by the Normans in 877 AD, it was reconstructed one hundred years later by Ebles, Bishop of Limoges, who was the brother of Guillaume, Count of Poitou.

From the 11th Century on the abbey experienced repetitive periods of misfortune as well as of great prosperity. In 1048, the buildings were once again consumed by fire. In the 13th century Savary de Maulion, a prominent character of Middle Age history, constructed a fortress there. The wealth of the abbey was due especially to drainage undertaken by the monks in the surrounding marshlands.

After the concordat of 1516, Saint Michel en l’Herm became a royal abbey. The main body of the buildings, the refectory and the monks’ pavilion, all of which one can admire today.

If you wish to learn the history we suggest you the guided visits.



- Shop


 MinimumMaximumPrécisions tarifaires
Discounted rate3 €-Etudiants, scolaires. Gratuit - 7 ans
Group price3 €-Minimum 10 personnes
Child group tarif3 €-Min 10 personnes
Full adult price5 €--

+Periods and opening hours

+From 2 July to 31 August 2018

Monday-15:00 - 17:00
Tuesday10:30 - 12:3015:00 - 18:00
Wednesday10:30 - 12:3015:00 - 18:00
Thursday10:30 - 12:3015:00 - 18:00
Friday10:30 - 12:3015:00 - 18:00
visites guidées les mardi, mercredi, jeudi et vendredi 10h30, 11h30, 15h, 16h et 17h et le lundi à 15h, 16h.

+From 18 September to 27 September 2018

Visites guidées les mardi et jeudi à 11h

+From 4 October to 18 October 2018

Visites guidées jeudi à 11h

+From 23 October to 30 November 2018

Visites guidées mardi et jeudi à 11h et 15h

+From 15 September to 16 September 2018

Visite guidée le samedi à 10h, 11h, 14h, 15h et 16h ; dimanche à 14h, 15h et 16h
Back to results


1, Place de l'Abbaye


Send an e-mail