LA VIGIE A LA CRULIÈRE
Vigie: This name has been generally attributed to signalling posts. Without doubt, it also applied to surveillance posts (the ancient customs house).
Between 18th and 19th century, a signalling post once stood here, but was destroyed a long time ago.
It was in 1792 that a French engineer, Claude Chappe, suggested to the Legislative Assembly, a system of communication, based on the transmission of messages between stations spaced 10 kilometres apart and situated on high ground.
The messages were made up of a sequence of semaphore signals which when received from the previous tower and read with the aid of a telescope, were reproduced to be read by the following tower.
Thanks to this procedure, the messages only took a few minutes to reach the other side of the territory.
It was in 1794 that Claude Chappe established a first link between Lille and Paris.