MUSÉE DE FONTENAY-LE-COMTE
Eugène de Mouillebert was a Fontenaisian scholar and collector. During the 1870 war, he lost his only son : Hugues de Mouillebert. He therefore decided to bequeath his entire collection to his native town, as well as a smallholding whose income was to be
This significant bequest included paintings, drawings and artworks.
Located in Notre-Dame church’s former presbytery since 1922, this museum shows Fontenay-le-Comte’s intellectual effervescence since the Renaissance. Following renovation works from 1922 to 1924, the museum opened its doors to the public on 19th October under the name Musée Vendéen.
The ambition of Emile Boutin, the first curator, was to give the museum a regional dimension and to develop a multidisciplinary acquisition policy : ancient archaeology, ethnography, fine arts...
From the end of the 70’s to 1986, the museum underwent new museographic developments. Its permanent exhibition areas and its acquisition policy were refocused on the southern Vendée territory.
The Museum of Fontenay-le-Comte relies on a long tradition of legacies and donations. A tradition that has kept going over the last thirty years, the most recent of which dates from 1998 : the Marchand’s bequest.
Facilities & amenities